Lawyers in the Library is a program jointly sponsored by the San Jose Public Libraries and the San Jose State University Library.
Patrons can obtain free 20-minute consultations with volunteer attorneys provided by the Pro Bono Project of Silicon Valley.
According to the sponsors, “The sessions are designed to provide basic information on topics that can reasonably be covered in a single, 20-minute session, such as:”
- Landlord/tenant issues (e.g. evictions, security deposits, how to get repairs done)
- Consumer law (e.g. debt collection, warranties, fraud, misrepresentation, bankruptcy)
- Government benefits (e.g. Social Security, SSI, welfare)
- Family law (e.g. divorce, custody matters)
- Employment (e.g. unemployment compensation, wrongful termination)
- Immigration (i.e. obtaining citizenship)
- Wills & trusts
For more info, visit: